by anthony on 07/16/10 at 9:08 am
Organization is a beautiful thing, especially when you make it work to your advantage. There are a lot of websites out there that offer great content. The only problem is that most are not organized in a way that shows off their great content. Most sites organize their page content by how their content is categorized. However, if you want users to get the most out of your content you have to organize it in a way that goes beyond that. People want the best of what you have to offer, but they won’t be able to find that if you don’t make it easy for them. That’s why you need to create a top content category, so users can find your best content.
Here are a few ways you can show off your content to make it more attractive and enticing:
1) Show off what’s MOST RECENT and NEW – People’s interest in what’s new will never get old. Make it clear what’s most recent and people will gravitate to that. It’s just the nature of human curiosity.
2) Show off what’s HOT and POPULAR – People like what other people like. Sometimes it’s because other people like it, but sometimes it’s because what most people generally like is genuinely good. You should always show what’s hot and popular by keeping tabs on what content people are viewing and consuming the most. You can even go beyond that and show how many people viewed or purchased a certain item.
3) Show what’s FREE! – This one should be pretty obvious. Labeling things FREE attracts so much attention. But just make sure that your free stuff is in a place that’s easy to see .
4) Show any SPECIAL or LIMITED TIME OFFERS you have – People like discounts and deals. This may not be as good as free, but it still attracts attention. Anytime you label something as transient it creates a sense of urgency that makes people jump on what you offer as quick as they can.
5) Show off what’s RECOMMENDED by you or others – As the gatekeepers of your site, you have knowledge and insight to your own content that users don’t have. Therefore, what you choose and recommend to others would be of value. You can also allow your own users recommend content to other users. This could mean showing content people are sharing the most or being rated the highest.
Everybody wants their hands on what’s hot and what’s best, and on the web they want it quick and fast. If you have particular content that’s getting a lot of praise and attention don’t be afraid to spotlight it. You should promote it in a visible area on the home page where users can get access to it easily. By organizing your content in a way that shows users where the good stuff is you are luring them in for engagement.